Episode #120: 7 Biggest Side Effects of Dieting We forget ( or just aren’t fully aware of)
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
When we go on diet after diet, there is something NO ONE tells us…NOT even these diet companies.
In this episode, I am discussing a few side effects of dieting that no one talks about and some of us don’t even realize it’s happening. ALL of these fancy diets can have some long-term lasting side effects and we need to be fully aware of what they are doing to us.
They can actually be causing more damage than we realize as we are just watching the number on the scale go down…BUT, it’s what’s going on INSIDE that we need to open our eyes to.
I’ve listed below a few of the negative side effects that diets are causing and I discuss each one in more detail in this podcast.
- Slows your metabolism. Anything you eat your body will hold on to and store it as fat…FOOD=ENERGY and when the ENERGY ( 1200 calories) is low, your body is smart and slows itself down to keep up.
- Low-Calorie STRICT Diets lead to poor health
- Cold, constipated, thinning hair, low energy, more sickness
- You are at a high risk of binge eating. Restrictive eating OF ANY KIND leads to binge eating. It’s your body’s survival mode kicking in and making you hungry ( HORMONES)
Thoughts Consumed by FOOD
- It can become an obsession..the numbers, what you “Can’t” have and want, and when the next meal is coming.
- Low energy, feeling HANGRY, Irritable
Ignoring Your Body’s internal que’s
- You’re Confusing your body and your HORMONES by ignoring what it’s telling you…you lose trust in your body’s ability to nourish itself.
Falling OFF THE WAGON
- Diets can be successful SHORT TERM…however, ost dieters regain their initial weight and then some within 2-5 years and some just plain “fall off the wagon” and just continue starting over and over AGAIN
Disordered Eating Habits/ unhealthy relationship with food
- Obsessing over the number of “good/bad” foods, fat burner, meal replacement shakes, fear of food…can lead to EATING DISORDERS!!
- Thinking it’s the enemy, fearing it, food becomes intertwined with negative emotions, judgment, guilt, shame, food is no longer FOOD but labeled as good/bad, on or foo limits
I hope this has opened your eyes to some of the potential side effects of dieting. If you are someone who is struggling with any of the above issues, I urge you to take a moment and step back and ask yourself IF going on a diet is what you really need right now. If you’re not sure how to answer that question or you don’t know where to start, feel free to reach out…I’d love to have a conversation with you and talk further about it all.
If you are stuck, frustrated, sick of yo-yo dieting and want to reclaim your health and would like a little group support and some awesome tips on nutrition and exercise for lasting weight loss and lifestyle balance…come join us in our free Facebook Group…
This group is specifically for women who want and need a different approach to weight loss and health…an approach from the inside, out!
Latest posts by Melanie Sobocinski (see all)
- Why Your Metabolism and Hormones May be a Little Slow - November 5, 2020
- My Before and After Story - September 11, 2020
- 7 Changes That Happen When You Don’t Eat Enough - July 16, 2020