How Self-Love Improves Your Health
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Do you know the benefits of self-love?
Did you know that people with self-love are healthier people?
My clients must think I’m crazy when I ask them how much they love themselves. Some of them pause and have a hard time coming up with an answer, they even come to tears when they realize they may not be taking care of and loving themselves as they should.
On the other end, some are even afraid to say how much the actually DO love themselves for fear of being made fun of or being told they are conceited, self-centered or self-absorbed.
What is self-love?
Self-love is defined as regard for one’s own well-being and happiness. There are three types of self-love:
- Physical—refers to how you see yourself
- Mental—refers to how you think of yourself (self-acceptance)
- Psychological—refers to how you treat yourself (self-respect)
For self-love to manifest, you must make yourself a priority. Developing self-love takes time, so you must practice it daily.
Self-Love isn’t Selfish
Self-love isn’t selfish, it’s necessary to balance out everything else in your life.
Self-love means you fully love and accept yourself — regardless of how you look, feel or act — and you make yourself (and your needs) a priority every day.
Self-love doesn’t include pushing yourself to the limits, putting everyone’s needs above your own, and wishing that “someday” you’ll get healthy and take care of yourself. “Someday” might just be too late.
Take the Quiz
Ask yourself the following questions and take a few minutes and be honest with yourself. This is a big eye-opener for a lot of my clients when we have coaching sessions.
- Make yourself (and your needs) a priority every day?
- Include daily time for self-care (including exercise/movement and eating healthy foods)?
- Carve out daily time for doing things that nourish and support you?
- Give others the best version of yourself because you’ve taken time to create the best version of YOU? ( You can’t pour from an empty cup)
- Strive to think healthy, loving thoughts toward yourself
- Live with self-compassion and self-forgiveness?
- Ask for help when I need it (including asking for help on the journey to self-love)?
- Fully love and accept yourself (regardless of how I look, feel, or act)?
If you’re not doing the above for yourself, your health can seriously suffer in more ways than you might realize right now.
How Self-Love Improves Your Health
So how does self-love really benefit your overall health? It starts with YOU taking care of yourself and making YOU a priority.
When you have self-love, you care about what you are eating.
You care about your body and realize that nourishing it with good foods is important. You deserve clean foods that will nourish you because you love who you are.
People with self-love create healthy boundaries in their relationships.
Negative Nelly’s are kept at a distance because you deserve to be treated with love and respect. Relationships should be happy, healthy and positive. There’s no room for people who drag you down when you are practicing self-love. You deserve more than that so setting boundaries is important.
People with self-love know when they need to say NO.
Saying NO is actually saying YES to yourself. There are times when people will try to suck the life out of you and you’ll find yourself worn out. It’s okay to say NO to people without feeling the guilt.
People with self-love make choices with intention.
Each choice is made with the question in mind “will this benefit me, is this good for me”. When we take care of our bodies and minds, we can use our talents and gifts to make the world a better place.
Start valuing yourself and watch your health improve. You start to care about what you eat, who you listen to, how much sleep you get, who is influencing you and most important…how you talk to yourself.
Latest posts by Melanie Sobocinski (see all)
- #1 Reason Why You Haven’t Been Able to Lose the Last 10 Pounds - December 10, 2019
- How to Break Up With Your Diet - December 3, 2019
- 4 Reasons Why before and After Pictures are Bull Shit - November 26, 2019